Monday, January 10, 2011

Mission: Get your *** back in shape!

Back on campus! My winter break has been nothing short of amazing; though I must admit that I have been missing all my lovely peers here at RCN. One thing my break has not been, though, is healthy. My diet of Juleøl & Blå Kings (google it) and a training routine that consisted of walking from the couch to the fridge a few times every day have not shown great results!

Better do something about it then! As of today I am following the 9 week Navy Seal C1 program. Three times a week I will be running, swimming and lifting weights in a routine that was designed to get American soldiers in shape to pass the tests required to become a Navy Seal. I have completed this level 1 program before, and the results are very satisfying for the limited amount of time required. Also, because the program is very continuous, with no breaks in between exercises, it is perfect for swimmers wanting to get back in the game.

Week #1, #2 & #3: First three weeks of the program are officially over, leaving one third of the program in the dust! In a busy and sometimes slightly chaotic UWC-life it can be hard to stick with the strictly planned training schedule, but so far I have not missed a single training session. Except from being good for my body, the program is also a fantastic way to sometimes get the IB out of my head and just do something that seems a bit more manageable. In fact, I am looking very much forward to the next six weeks of running, swimming and working out like a maniac.


Week #4, #5 & #6: Now I can really fell the progress! In fact, I am quite surprised by how good the program has been for my swimming skills. I have been swimming practically all my life, but since starting at my first boarding school I have not done any serious training. The regularity of the program has resulted in a lot of progress both with technique and condition. As long as I just remember to stretch (I learned that the hard way... Again!) this programs can work miracles!

Week #7, #8 & #9: DONE! And it only took about 10 weeks, 3000 push ups, 3000 sit ups, 800 lift ups, a marathon or two and countless hours in the swimming pool. To be honest, the best feeling about it is not just that I have gotten in shape, but that I actually did it. It took a lot of organizing and discipline to fit in all that extra work, but it has been worth it. I have gotten into a very good base shape for swimming, and would you believe it; I even quit smoking along the way. And now, I think I will give my soar muscles a week on the sofa before the next big fitness project.

UPDATE: I do officially declare the program a success, since I can now do pushups with my Thai second year sitting on my back....1

Follow this link to see the schedule.





1If you google that sencence (the lazy man's spell check) the result is a wikipedia article about Bruce Lee!

No comments:

Post a Comment

Feel free to leave comments, but remember to write your name